OpenEPC is a software implementation of 3GPP Evolved Packet Core compliant with Release 12 mandatory features and functions for connecting heterogeneous radio access networks LTE, Wi-Fi, 3G and 2G which is available for licensing with different models.
OpenEPC 7 is the version of OpenEPC which is available since November 2016 and includes the following 3GPP functions:
- MME – Mobility Management Entity
- HSS – Home Subscriber Server
- SGW – Serving Gateway
- PGW – Packet Data Network Gateway
- SPGW- Combined Serving and Packet Data Network Gateway
- ePDG – evolved Packet Data Gateway (for untrusted non-3GPP access e.g. Wi-Fi)
- TWAG – Trusted Wi-Fi Access Gateway
- PCRF – Policy and Charging Rules Function
- DRA – Diameter Routing Agent
- AAA – Authentication Authorization and Accounting Server and Proxy
- SGSN – Serving GPRS Support Node
- MSC – Mobile Switching Center – software only with IMS Centralized Services support
- HomeNodeBGw – Home NodeB Gateway
- SMS-Router – A new 3GPP function for SMS delivery in an heterogeneous network
- IP-SM-Gw – For interconnecting with IMS for SMS delivery over IP
And features from 3GPP and other standardization bodies like:
- VoLTE – Voice over LTE following GSMA standards
- 3GPP LCS – Location Services interfaces and APIs
- NFV – Network Functions Virtualization following ETSI model
- SDN – Software Defined Networks with features more advanced and pragmatic than 3GPP CUPS (Control and User Plane Separation)
- C-RAN – Centralized Radio Access Network with two split options (RLC/PDCP and in MAC)
Together with OpenEPC there are tools like eNodeB and UE emulators and pre-configured versions of Open Source software elements (DBs, DNS servers, IMS implementations) which are provided to OpenEPC customers.
OpenEPC is, as mentioned, software only; but not only that it is only one very modular and decomposable software for all those functions and features. Each function is a different instance of the software with a different configuration loading a specific set of modules (OpenEPC has over 200 modules) that provide the features, protocol stacks and business logic associated with the function.
The OpenEPC software runs in any Linux on user space without any kernel dependency. It’s not only virtualized but cloud-native. OpenEPC has been publicly demonstrated in several hardware platforms including ARM based from RaspBerry PIs to mini data-centers and extremely efficient hardware to common Intel based blades.
OpenEPC is pioneer in its support for decentralized core networks in which EPC functions are deployed at the edge of the network including co-location of EPC functions with RAN functions. New deployment models like moving decentralized mobile networks deployed in vehicles can also be supported by OpenEPC and its non-standard MESH networking features.
For details about the functions, features and tools please refer to the specific pages in this website and the Core Network Dynamics GmbH website.