OpenEPC is a prototype implementation of the 3GPP Evolved Packet Core (EPC), following the 3GPP Rel. 8-through-12. Its most important advantage are:
- includes almost all functional components and reference points from the standard architecture;
- integrates with off-the-shelf base stations for GPRS/EDGE, UMTS/HSPA, as well as LTE/LTE-A or WiFi; it even includes alternative emulations of NodeB and eNodeB for simpler setups;
- can be used with regular phones and modems;
- integrates with the IP Multimedia System (IMS) (www.OpenIMSCore.org) for Voice-over-LTE (VoLTE) and also supports CS-Voice, making it an ideal platform for SRVCC experimentation
- including already many of the 3GPP Rel.12 features like IP Flow Mobility (IFOM) or Multi-Access Point Connectivity (MAPCON);
- allowing for advanced experimentation current and upcoming evolutionary concepts like Network Function Virtualization (NFV), Software Defined Networking (SDN) and Self-Organizing Networks (SON);
- world’s first EPC working implementation with support for latest OpenFlow protocol and concepts
- provides access to source code for licensing fees within R&D budgets.
OpenEPC enables operators, industry researchers and engineers, as well as academia around the world to understand and to perform practical experimentation on the capabilities of the Evolved Packet Core. OpenEPC Rel. 6, the current version available, includes all the components of the 3GPP architecture including the interfaces with various access technologies and service platforms.
OpenEPC can be integrated with various Radio Access Network (RAN) technologies and different application domains and thus, it provides true mobile broadband testbeds mirroring real-life operator networks.
In particular, the OpenEPC toolkit is designed to enable local and highly customized core network test-bed instantiations around the globe, at the premises of various organizations. The source code licensing option pluses the offer with ultimate flexibility for enabling future standard functionality and easy customizations for professional applications.
OpenEPC runs on commodity standard software and hardware platforms, with very low minimal requirements, yet scaling very well when performance is required.